Monday 15 March 2010

Els wins World event at Doral,Florida.

Ernie Els ended two years without a win in superb style at the World Golf Championships-CA Championship in Miami, and became The European Tour's all-time leading money winner in the process.

The 40 year old captured the second of this season's WGC events - and his 63rd professional title - by a commanding four shot margin after what developed into a straight head-to-head with his fellow South African Charl Schwartzel.

“I want to just enjoy this one, this took so much work to win,” Els revealed afterwards. “A lot of people have said that the older you get, the tougher it becomes to win, and that's very true.

“I'm 40 years old, and it feels like in my 20s I had so many chances and I didn't quite take them. Now that you're older, you don't get as many chances, so you've got to try to take them when they come.

“I'll have a bit more confidence now, I'm sure, but I just want to keep working hard. I know what works for me now, and that's hard work. Just to be back in that group of players who are really performing well - I feel honoured to be back in there.”

Three strokes further back in joint third were German Martin Kaymer, American Matt Kuchar and Ireland's Padraig Harrington, whose closing 72 was never going to give him a chance on a day of low scoring.

With the win Els returns to the Official World Golf Ranking Top Ten, a place where he has spent more weeks - 759 now - than any other player since the rankings started in 1986.

It was a level par closing 72 for Harrington to finish in a share of 3rd place.He had to work hard and rely on his brilliant short game to stay in contention.He picked up a nice cheque for $426,666.

Graeme McDowell came through the pack with a closing 66 for a -10 finish and a share of 6th place that earned him $214,300.

It was a bad tournament for Rory McIlroy.On a course that should have suited his game he never broke par.He finished in 65th place out of 67 starters after scores of 76,73,73,73.He won $40,625.

No comments:

Post a Comment